Skip to content

Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Figs

June 8, 2009

figsI recently spent a wonderful weekend at a chalet in Ellicottville, NY with 4 fantastic women (my fantastic self included).  As usual 90% of our conversation was about…you guessed it FOOD! (oh, that’s not what you had guessed?….what do you think the other 10% was about?).

Nancy brought some amazing stuffed mushrooms, meatballs (made with grape jam!) and dips (you’ll find the recipes here soon).  Lu brought some delicious Indian spices and we whipped up an amazing feast; spicy cauliflower, chicken korma and saffron rice.  You won’t believe how easy it is!  I’ll be blogging about all of this shortly, but first I had to bring to your attention a tasty appetizer idea compliments of Karla; prosciutto wrapped figs! (I love prosciutto wrapped anything, really) there are a few different variations of this recipe to be found online, for example prosciutto wrapped figs stuffed with goat cheese and walnuts and drizzled with balsamic.  But I was planning a little birthday fete for my mom and knowing how much she loves blue cheese, I decided to make my figs stuffed with blue cheese and pecans, and drizzled with honey (recipe adapted from Martha Stewart ).   Considering the oohs, aaahs and moans elicited from the mouths of guests, you would’ve thought there was a whole different kind of party going on!.  It was really THAT good.

One little note before I get to the recipe.  Figs are expensive (15 figs =$25)  So, instead of using 1 whole fig per appetizer, I cut them completely in half and doubled the recipe.  The recipe below reflects the changes I made to the original one I found on the Martha Stewart site.

Ingredients

12 fresh black mission figs, stems removed

3 ounces blue cheese cut into 24 pieces

24 pecan halves

12 thin slices proscuitto, cut in half lengthwise

olive oil, for brushing

honey, for serving

1.  Slice the figs through the center vertically. Top each half with a cube of cheese and pecan half.  Wrap figs with a strip of prosciutto, ensuring the ends of the meat overlap (you could use toothpicks to secure, but I found this wasn’t necessary as the meat sticks if you overlap it).  Brush each with olive oil, and grill over medium-high heat.

2.  Transfer to a serving platter and drizzle with honey.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes 24 appetizers.

Advertisements
3 Comments leave one →
  1. June 12, 2009 7:17 pm

    That sounds divine! How I wish I had some around right now…

    I love the addition of the blue cheese, sounds like many nice cheeses would go well with the recipe, like cheddar! Ha.

  2. June 30, 2009 8:28 pm

    I finally tired this and it was a complete success! Jay’s sister Toni and her man Craig and their wee man Ryan are here from Belfast so I thought I’d give it a go! I have never seen appetizers disappear so fast! Plus I scored some amazing figs at Costco – got a box of 24 for just over $10! I made it with goats cheese but like Denise says you could make with so many different cheeses! mmmmmm!

    • Tammy permalink*
      July 8, 2009 7:12 pm

      Yay! I’m glad it worked out for you. Will definitely have to try the goat cheese next time and be sure to stop off at Costco.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: